Welcome to the first of many wedding planning posts. As we began to plan our special day we knew two things for certain: we wanted to keep it small, and we wanted to hold it locally. Let me tell you what I have found. The wedding planning business is a monster and it is easy to get sucked in to the commercialism of what should be a very simple day of exchanging love and vows surrounded by your family and friends and great food. I was quickly overwhelmed by the amount of waste and needless spending. While eloping seemed like an attractive option, we both really wanted our families present and had to appreciate that traveling to some far off locale is just not within everyone's means. Not to mention the carbon footprint to even get there!!
Here is what I have chosen so far:
- Location location! - Our wedding will held literally across the river from our condo at a heritage house on campus. The fee for the space goes back into the heritage fund and our guests get to enjoy the old age charm of the space.
- Eats - we looked at a lot of options and settled on a cocktail reception. Mainly because I hoped there would be less waste and we can specify to a lot of tastes and favourites. It is also a great way for me to sneak in Vegan items without people really knowing. You know, my sly way to walk around after and say "yes, weren't they delicious! And Vegan too!"
- Drinks - I plan to get organic sodas and place them in old stainless washing tubs filled with ice. Because we are buying our own alcohol we can source organic beer and wine, and even a local brewery for the beer.
- Invites - we are going with postcards on recycled card stock to minimize paper waste and will ask for a phone call or email RSVP.
- Cookie Bar - Even thought it is probably a bit over done now, I loved the idea of a candy bar. But instead of loading our guests up with high fructose corn syrups I am opting instead for a vegan cookie bar. Watch the blog as I try out cookie recipes over the coming months!
- Favours - we agreed to go with a charitable donation but want a keepsake too so we are printing off little cards with the charity name and details in case guests want to make a future donation on their own.
That is all we have for now but watch this space for more detailed posts in the coming months. Please share with me your ideas and inspiration! Right now I am on the hunt for vegan shoes in a teal or jade colour. I may let up on that wish though ; )
- It's starting to feel real (alizaandjeremy.wordpress.com)