Despite spending hour after hour perusing vegan cooking blogs, I am not a very good cook. I am constantly on the go and I tend to grab easy dinners. Hummus is a food group around here, right below slow cooked oats. There is one thing I love to make though because there are seriously endless varieties and you can use up all the odds and ends ingredients kicking around in your fridge.
The All-in-one bowl. The idea is really quite simple:
- 1 part grain (rice, quinoa, barley, etc)
- 1 part protein (tofu, tempeh, beans, etc )
- 1 part vegetable (or several)
- 1 part garnish (fresh herbs, nuts, seeds, etc)
- 1 part sauce (anything will do!)
Today's bowl is an ode to the Dragon bowl I had at Fresh in Toronto almost 2 years ago!! If you have ever been to Fresh you most likely left thinking Edmonton NEEDS a Fresh. Luckily, we are starting to see more vegan and vegetarian restaurants popping up so maybe there is a Fresh somewhere in our future.
- Brown rice
- Tofu cubes a la Healthy Tipping Point's Perfect Baked Tofu
- Grilled tomato and zucchini
- Green onions
- Miso gravy (I use the NAAM variety that you can find at Saveon Foods, but I am sure the more adventurous could make their own)
You can use whatever quantities you like which is why I love it! My challenge is to come up with one new Bowl recipe a week. I welcome you to submit your own bowl recipes! If you have a picture even better.