This Sunday I was participating in #runchat on twitter and one of the questions was "What do you do to recover after a hard run?" The responses were the usual: rest, ice bath, compression socks etc. I was intrigued when one poster mentioned that she swears by Chlorella.
I quickly responded asking why Chlorella? She replied that it speeds cell regeneration, enhancing healing, quicker muscle recovery.
I had to know more! After some online investigation here is what I found:
Brendan Brazier chooses Chlorella as a daily body detoxifier. In this excerpt from, The Thrive Diet(Thrive in the US), Brendan states that “Directly enhancing the immune system at a cellular level, chlorella treats the cause of any possible breach – as opposed to fighting the onset of sickness (as is all too often done with pharmaceutical drugs).”
Here are just some of the nutrients found in Chlorella:
- More than 20 vitamins and minerals
- Beta- Carotene- a powerful antioxidant known for its ability to eliminate free radicals
- 19 amino-acids
- Higher content of fatty acids than Spirulina or wild blue green algae
- 60% superior protein
- B complex vitamins, especially B12.
Health benefits of chlorella include:
- Enhances immune function
- Encourage the growth of friendly intestinal bacteria
- Eliminates heavy metals and toxins from the body
- Assists in keeping the body in an alkaline state
- Protects you from infection due to its anti-viral properties
- Keep your breath fresh!
- Assists in cleansing the bowel and maintaining a healthy digestive tract
Where to find it?
1 1/4 cups almond milk
1/4 cup hemp seeds
3-5 pitted dates (or stevia to taste)
1 tsp vanilla extract
10 tablets Sun Chlorella
1 tsp kelp granules
2 tbsp lucuma powder (optional)
3 tbsp chia seeds