I have been reading a lot about the paleo diet lately and whether or not it is possible as a vegan. No Meat Athlete is probably the most informative source as he took on the challenge himself for 30 days. You can read more about it here. I am seriously considering doing my own 30 day challenge. Mostly because I was motivated by this Nerd Fitness challenge:
take 30 days and give it a shot—cut out the grains and dairy, start eating more vegetables and fruits, eat more humanely raised and non-grain fed meat, cut out the liquid calories and sugar, and see how you feel after the month is up.
So why paleo? This post by Eat Drink Paleo highlights some of the known health benefits. I am most interested in:
- Increased and more stable energy levels (I will do anything to combat my lack of sleep)
- Improved sleep
- Clearer skin and healthier looking hair (breastfeeding is leaving me with dull mousy hair)
- Improved mood and attitude
- Higher immune function and a general feeling of well being
- Paleo diet is anti-inflammatory (which is probably great for runners!)
- Improvements in those with respiratory problems such as asthma (Asthma was one of the reasons I initially eliminated lactose free dairy)
Right now I am still wading my way through articles, blog posts and recipes to see if this is something I want to take on. I would love to hear from you if you follow a vegetarian/vegan paleo diet or lifestyle.
Reasons why, resources and recipes are welcome!
p.s. we went to baby massage class yesterday and this morning I gave Weston his first massage. So cute!