I thought today would be a good time to talk about stretching. In the injury prevention post I suggested this topic was entitled to its very own post so here we go!
Last week I attended an injury prevention seminar by The Running Clinic. They covered a lot of really interesting info, but the part that struck a chord with me was their take on stretching.
Here is an overview:
- Stretching before running has a negative effect on running performance (especially if held over 60 seconds)
- Stretching before a run does not decrease the risk of injury.
- Stretching does not prevent DOMS.
- Stretching does not improve post workout recovery.
- Always stretch AFTER your run (not before).
- Here are some examples of stretches from The Running Clinic.
- Do not stretch if you are hyper flexible (I think I mentioned I have hyper mobile hip joints)
- Stretch your proximal (closest to body) and not distal (furthest from body) muscles. Think quads and hamstrings and not your calves.