This spring I had the chance to partner with Altitude Sports to review some great seasonal active wear. I chose a Smartwool Product, in particular the Smartwool Propulsion 60 Jacket. This is actually my first Smartwool item (apart from socks) so I was really looking forward to the review. I had my choice of a few items and chose one most suited to my activities and climate. You can view the full collection here.
My first test for the jacket was a 45 minute run in about +2 (celcius) weather. I was overdressed but I didn’t overheat. I think this is a real pro of natural fibres – they keep you just the right temperature and are more breathable. I also did a 90 minute run in chillier weather and was really impressed with the warmth of the jacket with just a really light base layer beneath. My final test was my 5k run commute home with a small pack. I wanted to see whether there would be bunching or if the breathability would be impacted.
I received a medium and it was really roomy without looking sloppy. For layering, a medium was ideal but a lot of my run tanks are very fitted so a small would have been ok too. The sleeve length was great! I have a problem with short sleeves on things so I was happy to have a jacket that actually came down to my wrists. Overall, I really like this jacket. The only things I might have added are more reflective tags for visibility and maybe a tuckable hood. I like the look of hoods more than the functionality.
- Great for moderating body temperature as you run.
- Good length of sleeves for longer arms. Note: there are no thumb holes which I really appreciate because I sometimes think thumb holes make an item fall firmly in the workout wear category while this jacket is a bit more versatile
- No restriction to movement at all!
- Even with a small pack on for my run commute there was no visible sweat marks or damp spots (this can be a real pain in cooler temps when you stop for a light to change).
- Two roomy pockets with easy to access zippers.
Now that I have a new appreciation for the Smartwool line, this tank in on my wishlist! I would be interested in seeing how these fabrics respond in the summer heat.
You can read more about the history of Altitude Sports here. I really appreciate the opportunity to collaborate with this great Canadian company!